Chapter 7: Outflow (O)

admin
Site Admin

Chapter 7: Outflow (O)

Post by admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:39 am

Originally posted by Rem Westland - 03/10/2013

We now hop over to the other side of the equation. Outflow refers to the rivers (Fall River) and creeks that take water naturally away from a lake. I have always believed that our only outflow is the Fall River but, again, I may be wrong. The value of O will change in the course of any year...and the more we know about this the better.
--
SLPOA Forum Administrator

admin
Site Admin

Measuring the outflow from our Lake

Post by admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Rem Westland - 08/10/2013

I have been advised by Ralph Pentland, also on our executive, that the data currently available can provide an estimate of outflow volume via Fall River by using the measured outflow from Bennet Lake (130 cubic feet per second, from Water Survey of Canada records). The drainage area above the Bennet Lake outlet is approximately 110 square miles (includes Sharbot Lake). Since the Fall River is a major source of water for Bennet Lake, the question now becomes: if 130 cubic feet per second are flowing out of Bennet Lake, what is the volume flowing into that lake from Sharbot via the Fall River? Using an estimate of 60 square miles as the drainage area for Sharbot Lake itself, the answer (averaged over the year) would be 71 cubic feet per second.
--
SLPOA Forum Administrator