Chapter 10: Consumption (C)

admin
Site Admin

Chapter 10: Consumption (C)

Post by admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 am

Originally posted by Rem Westland - 03/10/2013

By this I mean the kind of consumption that takes water away from our Lake. It most likely includes consumption that takes water away from our watershed. The amount of C can likely never be known. I have read about the concept of "virtual water", which refers to the water which is consumed in the growing of plants and then marketed outside the area of the watershed. Across the planet "virtual water" is becoming a cause of intense concern because of how some very dry regions are using scarce water to grow products like grapes (as only one example) and then selling the grapes in other regions of the world where water may actually be in great abundance.
--
SLPOA Forum Administrator

admin
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 10: Consumption (C)

Post by admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:14 am

Originally posted by Rem Westland - 08/10/2013

Consumption for drinking and ablutions within our homes and businesses returns about 90% of what is taken out of the Lake back into it via septic systems (hopefully!) or directly (diverted grey water and untreated sewage). My advice from Ralph Pentland is that consumptive use in eastern Canada is about .0001 cubic feet per second (cfs) per person. If we assume 2000 users of Lake water (residents, guests) then consumptive use would be 0.2 cubic feet per second. Return flow (and this is where our own contribution to the contamination challenge comes from) would be in the order of .18 cubic feet per second.

The fact is, of course, that the volume we humans take out and return is a very small amount compared to precipitation and groundwater. But we can compromise the condition of the water by what we have added to what we dispose.
--
SLPOA Forum Administrator