Marking of Shoals and Underwater Objects

admin
Site Admin

Marking of Shoals and Underwater Objects

Post by admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:57 pm

Originally posted by Kevin Browne - 09/02/2014

We are all familiar with the recycled bleach bottles and flags put out by cottagers that mark submerged rocks and shoals. However are we allowed to do this and are they legal? This has been a discussion for many years at the SLPOA AGM as members ask if something can be done.
According to Transport Canada, anyone can put out markers provided they do not interfere or confuse boaters. The catch is that they are required to conform to the regulations of the Canada Shipping Act 2001 Private Buoys. This act outlines the size, construction and anchorage of buoys and notes that steel drums, barrels, propane cylinders, bleach bottles and jugs are not to be used as markers. As the bleach bottle mark boating hazards, the OPP will apparently not remove them as they perform an important function. So the question becomes would approved buoys that can be either yellow or white with an orange diamond improve the boating experience on Sharbot Lake? A sample picture of an approved buoy is attached to this message..

Near Sudbury, Ontario, buoys have been used by the Lake Wahnapitae Home and Campers Association. They divided the lake into zones and volunteer are responsible for the buoys in the assigned zone and this information is available on their website.
Marker buoys are available from a company in New Brunswick which appear similar to those used by Lake Wahnapitae. This buoy was designed by FOCA and has the approval of Transport Canada.
More information on private buoys is available on the Canada Transport web site http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... nu-634.htm which describes the dimension, construction and lettering to be used for private buoys..
We look forward to hearing if you believe the association should play a role in promoting safe boating by marking some of the lake’s shoals with these approved buoys.
--
President
Sharbot Lake Property Owners' Association
Attachments
Buoy Image.jpg
Buoy Image.jpg (17.32 KiB) Viewed 7862 times
--
SLPOA Forum Administrator

admin
Site Admin

Re: Marking of Shoals and Underwater Objects

Post by admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Originally posted by DGC1211 - 11/02/2014

While most of the property owners probably know where all their favorite shoals are located, having them marked would make life easier.

However, what responsibility and liability would the SLPOA be taking on by 'officially' marking the shoals?

What would happen when the SLPOA forgets to mark a shoal, stops marking a shoal, or has one of the shoal markers float off. Will some boater hit the shoal and blame the SLPOA??

I would hope that wouldn't be the case, but what does the law say?
--

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Originally posted by Jim Mitchell - 11/02/2014

I feel this is a wonderful idea for all. What is the cost to buy markers? How many do we need? It would be great if they could be made to save $$. What do we need to start?
--

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Originally posted by Kevin Browne - 19/02/2014

Interesting enough the cost for the markers is not excessive. The issue at Sharbot Lake would be how many would we need and what will be agreed to for marking as there are many bays and perhaps we should consider dealing with main channels first.

In regards to how do we start that starts with a team that is interested in this and is willing to identify what makes the most sense to move forward which would probably start with a conversation with the Lake Wahnapitae association for lessons learned.

In regards to what the law states I have only hearsay knowledge so I would hope the team that took on this project would ensure that we find these questions and answers. This would need a team ongoing to support the placement and monitoring of markers. From my understanding they should not float off unless they were made to.

I glad to see getting interest and I hope that you would like to be involved.

--
President
Sharbot Lake Property Owners' Association
--

cdsaban

Post by cdsaban » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:45 am

Years ago this was done by summer cottagers. Then the issue came up : That it also identified the GOOD fishing spots. Some people to offence to this and removed the markers. It would be better to have up to date charts readily available for the tourists.

gamacleod

Post by gamacleod » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:56 pm

Good afternoon,

Marking of shoals is a subject which seems to rise to the top every few years. And there are many different thoughts on the pro's and con's of marking shoals.

For those looking for more information regarding the requirements, legalities and issues, please check out the following link:

https://foca.on.ca/boating-safety-post-1/

With regards,

Guy